Ten Filipinos tested positive for COVID in the resurgence of cases in Shanghai, China.
Josel Ignacio, Philippine Consul General in Shanghai, said that the Filipinos have reached out to them and are being looked after by the embassy.
Shanghai, China has been in lockdown since March 28 after new cases of COVID surged reaching up to 20,000 cases everyday. So far, there were 70 deaths recorded (as of this writing).
Many Filipinos’ jobs were affected because of the lockdown. Overseas voting of more than 1000 registered voters was also disrupted.
While a lot of people, including Filipinos, are mainly relying on government aid right now, the Philippine Embassy to Shanghai has high hopes on their host country, China.
“We are quite certain that the Chinese government is doing their very best to get the city out of this endemic as soon as possible,” Josel Ignacio said.