Canada contributes $ 5 million to victims of Typhoon Hagupit - Filipino Journal

Canada contributes $ 5 million to victims of Typhoon Hagupit

Canada contributes $ 5 million to victims of Typhoon Hagupit

Senator Enverga joins Minister Paradis announcing support to those affected by Typhoon Hagupit

The Honourable Tobias C. Enverga Jr, Senator from Ontario, joined the Honourable Christian Paradis, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie, who hosted a roundtable meeting with members of Montréal’s Filipino-Canadian community today and announced a commitment of $5 million in additional humanitarian assistance to help meet the urgent needs of those affected by Typhoon Hagupit.

“It is heartbreaking that the people of the Philippines have been hit once again with such a destructive typhoon while still dealing with the devastation caused by Typhoon Haiyan just over a year ago,” said Minister Paradis. “Canada’s support will help to respond to needs identified by the Government of the Philippines, such as for water, sanitation, emergency shelter, and other essential relief items for those affected by the typhoon.”

“Our government’s commitment to repeatedly assist the people of the Philippines is proof of the growing ties between our two countries,” said Senator Enverga. “As Canada’s first Filipino Canadian senator, it warms my heart to see that my new homeland shows such care for the country of my birth.”

Typhoon Hagupit first hit the Philippines as a Category 3 typhoon on December 6, 2014, making it the most powerful storm to hit the Philippines this year. Hagupit has affected nearly 2.8 million people, and more than 43,000 houses have been damaged across the affected areas. The Government of the Philippines has confirmed 18 deaths, and more than 1.7 million people have been evacuated.

Typhoon Hagupit also impacted some areas already affected by Typhoon Haiyan just over a year ago. To that end, Minister Paradis also announced last week that Canada will be extending the deadline for the Typhoon Haiyan Reconstruction Assistance Call for Proposals to February 13, 2015. This will give Canadian organizations on the ground more time to mobilize their responses to Typhoon Hagupit, as needed, and to consider Hagupit’s implications in Haiyan-affected areas.

“Canada is steadfast in its commitment to helping the Filipino people in their efforts to restore their livelihoods and build a better future for their country,” reiterated Minister Paradis. “Canada was proud to help in the relief effort in 2013, and we are proud to assist again this year.”