I am a resident of The Maples for 15 years, a mother blessed with 4 smart & talented kids. My eldest graduated from the Maples Collegiate in 2014, the 2nd one is in Grade 11 at the Maples Collegiate, 3rd child is at École Leila North and the youngest is at École James Nisbet. Our family owns a non-profit organization & martial arts school, The Winnipeg Sikaran Arnis Academy, where I am blessed to be a part of the growth and lives of a few dozens more.
I am a registered nurse by profession, a vocation of caring and service for others. I graduated from the University of the Philippines where I also earned my Masters Degree in Nursing. I migrated in Canada in 2000 as a nurse through the Provincial Nominee Program.
I have been an active member and servant of the community through the years. Some of my past & present volunteer works are:
– Currently the Secretary and Board of Director of the Filipino Seniors Group of Winnipeg
– Mentor for the Internationally Educated Nurses in MB & a Clinical Instructor for Senior Nurses at SOGH
– Founding Vice President – Philippine Nurses Association of MB (2005-2013)
– Member and Speaker for Immigration Matters Canada
– Speaker for English as Second Language at the Seven Oaks Adult Learning Centre and Winnipeg Technological Colleges
– Resource Speaker for Community Health Nurses of Manitoba, Senior Nursing Students University of Manitoba,
– Member of the WRHA committees on the New Nursing Model and the Enhanced Home Care Nursing Program in Home Care, and Facilitator for the Inter-professional Education for the Community of Practice – Collaborative Care
– Former Vice President Board Member – Philippine Canadian Centre of Manitoba. I was a volunteer for Folkolorama Council of MB, Philippine Heritage Council of MB, Cancer Care Manitoba’s Challenge for Life, Annual Asian Heritage Celebration, the MB Filipino Street Festival & many more.
– Program Coordinator for Citizenship Ceremonies and Programs on Mutliculturalism and was a former Liaison Officer for the Citizenship Ceremonies for the Canadian Citizenship and Immigration Services
On my free-time, our family enjoys another passion that we share, the performing arts particularly dancing. What fuels me to fulfill all the above is my passion of caring and service to others.
I believe that we already have a strong education system at Seven Oaks School Division, together we can make it stronger With my background as a mother, a nurse, an educator, a martial artist, a sports enthusiast, a performing artist and a community servant, I bring forth knowledge and skills based on experience and tested with many challenges.
I care for the future and the future leaders of our community. On October 24, 2018, come out and vote. Let me serve you!
– KELLY LEGASPI, RN/BSN
4th Degree Black Belt
Modern Sikaran & Arnis